Tuesday 21 May 2013

I Feel Like I Just got Smacked in the Face

Hey Dudes, 
If you're like me, then writing is the thing for you.
You've wanted to write since you were in grade five. A wee little lass with a heart of gold (and delusions) on being a successful writer one day; preferably partying it up with JK and Tolkien (in my defence, in year five, I didn't know he was dead - I was only 11 after all). 

You go through High School and what you want to be changes - I remember teacher, nurse, actress, dancer,  Kardashian (just to name a few). 

Then something pulls you back on the writing path. Whether it was writing a journal for the sake of writing, reading a whole lot because you love to be transported in a new world, writing a blog, loving English class. Whatever it may have been, something pulls you back onto the writing path. 
Next thing you know, you're off at University studying the writing way. 

And we're back in present day. 

I have been studying writing at Uni for a year and a half now (there are multiple posts on it, so feel free to browse) and I'm already half way through my degree. 
Listening to lecturer's say that (if you put in the work) publishing - in whatever form - is possible. 
It's this advice I listen to the most - I mean I'm supposed to, right? 
Then today I came across another blog. 
It told me that being published is not an option, it's not going to happen and if you think that it is, bury your face in the sand and wait for flying pigs because it's never going to happen. 

I don't know this lady personally. 
I've never even come across her or her blog before now. 
People who have actually had books published and live off it have told me otherwise. 

Though what she said felt like a slap in the face. I guess I have a lot riding on this writing thing and if it fails for me...well I don't know what I'll do. Fuck, I sound so pessimistic, sorry.
I have it in my head that it will all work out, but there is a lot of doubt as well. I guess when people tell me that it wont happen I believe them. 

Sorry for being a downer right now, but I needed to get that all out. 

By the way, I checked some of her other posts, including: 
- Don't Do What you Love           &
- Never go to Grad School 

Yeah, something tells me I should treat this women's words like water off a ducks back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment