Monday 20 May 2013

Why Australian's Love Eurovision

It's that time of the year again. And Eurovision 2013 has been and gone. 

Naturally I watched. 

I was shocked (and super psyched) when the host mentioned Australia (twice!) I think it was the first time Australia has gotten a shout out. 
If you didn't watch it the host made a comment that the show is watched all around the world, including Australia. I swear, I heard the audience gasp. I couldn't understand why it was such a big deal. 

I'm Australian and I've been watching it for years. I also know that most of my followers are from overseas and live in countries that do compete. 
So, for you guys here's my breakdown on why Australian's LOVE Eurovision.

#1 
Heritage and Roots. 
Australia is a diverse, multicultural society. I think (personally) Australia is the country with the most cultural diverseness. People who live here have ancestors, and relatives that come from all over the world - including Europe. A lot of people watch it as a cultural connection for ancestral purposes. As Australia is not apart of Eurovision, it's a chance for people to go for a country that usually they might not go for if Australia was involved. I have Maltese heritage and I definitely go for Malta during Eurovision. 

#2
Two Different Worlds. 
Sometime's when watching Eurovision I'm astounded at some of the acts - 'that's entertainment for you guys' I think. The performances, the show itself, the costumes, the atmosphere - it can be completely different from Australian shows and lifestyles. For three days we get swept away in the Eurovision world, and while sometime's we may laugh at your oddness, we totally love it. 

#3 
Pure Entertainment. 
This doesn't need explanation - you guys know how to put on a show. Every year you know how to make us laugh, cringe, cry, cheer and jeer - all in the name of entertainment. Wherever it may be held, Eurovision keeps Australian's on the edge of their seats. 

#4
It Keeps us Cultured.
I like to think that watching Eurovision makes me cultured. I know that you vote for your neighbours (don't deny it) and watching the voting the other night,  I felt intelligent that I could "guess" who would receive the major votes from particular countries because of who their neighbours/allies were and who they needed to kiss-arse. Saying you watch Eurovision here is different from European countries. In Europe, you're just expected to watch. While in Australia it makes you look cultured, worldly, smart and aware. 

Congratulations Denmark - I loved the song. 
Even though I'll be on the other side of the world, I will be tuning in next year and I can't wait. 




No comments:

Post a Comment