Thursday 16 May 2013

The Fine Line of a Facebook Status.

This morning I was looking down my Facebook news feed. 
http://www.marylandwriter.net/2011_04_06_archive.html

{For those who don't have Facebook, it's basically the home page. On the news feed you can see what your friends are up to. It also shows status' of groups and pages you have 'liked'. You just scroll down the news feed to get your daily gossip hit.} 

I came across one status that 11 people had liked. It was full of grammar mistakes and errors.
I was dumbfounded by the simple spelling mistakes this person had achieved. 
Now I understand there's a difference between a couple of spelling mistakes, which let's face it, we all make. But this was ridiculous and all throughout their status. 
I had the urge to comment on their status - to put an asterisk {*} then the correct spelling next to it. 

But I had to fight the urge. I knew if I did comment I would look like a know-it-all and be bagged out by her and at least the 11 people who liked it. 
She's also Miss Popularity, if that supports my argument on why I didn't. 

Instead I fought like a sissy - made my own status about fighting the 'bad guy' {bad spelling and grammar} in a sort of self-accomplishment/super hero way. 
As the time ticked, no one had like it. The worst thing to happen on Facebook is for no one to 'like' your status. It sucks - and happens to me all the time - I must be horrible at framing things in a likeable way. 

This brings me to the fine line that is present within every status. 

You need to write something witty, to the point, grabs people's attention while also being entertaining. It's a hard thing to do. 

There are the status' that are always going to get likes: birthday messages, funny pictures, pictures of a pet and/or baby. 
Popular people can write whatever tripe they want and manage to pull 20 likes from their ass-licker friends. 
Depressing and Sulky Sue status' also get likes - even if they're only for pity or as a way to cheer the 'sad' and totally not 'attention seeking' person up. 

If your status goes for too long, people get bored and don't read all of it. However if you're talking about a passionate issue then you can keep people reading. Or likes, just because they want to look cultured. 
If you sound stupid, drunk, suicidal etc, people won't like them either. Who wants to be associated with someone like that?
Don't talk about anything too serious AKA asylum seekers - while you might get the likes of people who want to look cultured {like before} widely debatable issues like that can make people feel uncomfortable and feel like they will be judged on their opinion. So they'll stay clear. Though kudos to you for using social media to get issues like that out there. 

One thing that I will mention is posting a status of a Facebook page. 
For example: 
- It's called a status; not a diary. 
- From one to Lord Voldemort, how awkward are your hugs? 
- Not having a hot body because let's face it, food is better. 
These are funny quotes and they do great {'likes' wise} as status'.  
But too often I see someone who has done this with a page I have liked myself. I've seen the joke, you're not original and the people who have 'liked' your status thinks you are. 
This annoys me so much - so while you may get away with being original - there is the chance someone has already 'liked' that page and call you out for stealing their joke. 

For many, a Facebook status takes no time at all. 
If you're like me, I like to think about it, check for mistakes and reword it to the best of the status' ability. 
I believe there is a fine line between a successful status and a fail one. Now I just need to perfect it. 

* by the way, I just checked Facebook again, and my status has likes. Yay! 


No comments:

Post a Comment