Tuesday 10 July 2012

Praise to The Simpsons

As I speak (ok, well type) The Simpsons are on TV. And the more I thought about, they've been there for a long time.

Google Images
The Simpsons have been on air for 20 years! I know, doesn't that make you feel old?
They've had 24 seasons, with over 500 hundred episodes and counting.
And they aren't slowing down - well at least they don't seem to show it.

Today I read an article about Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock Holmes) will be voicing in their new season. It's proof that they are still raking in high profile names who are lining up to appear with the world's most famous family.

The episode that's playing on TV, is an old one. To be specific, it's the one where Homer becomes a bodyguard and works for Mayor Quimby.
Even though I've watched it a million times, I find myself still laughing at all the right parts.
In this particular episode, the mix of pop cultural references (The Bodyguard and Starwars) is an unlikely, perfect match.

It's the longest running prime time animation series (well at least that's what Wiki says), they've won Emmy's, People's Choice Awards, and three British Comedy Awards. Don't believe me - check Wikipedia.
Those awards are no suprise though, are they really?

They (and this is my opinion personally) changed children's television, animation TV and shaped the lives of generations of children.

As an adult now - I still love The Simpsons.
And there isn't a person I know, who hasn't ever watched (at least one) episode of them.
And that's what makes them so popular.

They appeal to the youngest of children, to the oldest of adults (OK, well maybe not my grandparents, but my Dad still loves them!)

As long as they keep pumping out episodes, I'll continue to watch them.
There will be a time though when Matt Groening says no more.
Or maybe the station says no more.
And then - no more episodes.
But, then, we'll always have the old eps - the one playing on my TV right now, and whenever they decide to stop making the show, I will cry (yes I know, I'm lame).

But we'll always have our fond memories.
Thankyou, The Simpsons; You made my childhood.
And my adulthood.




No comments:

Post a Comment