Saturday 14 July 2012

Pottermore: entre Harry's World

Today I took my Harry Potter obsession to a new level, when I signed up to Pottermore.

I've known about it for a while - I even have a friend who won a competition, allowing her to be one of the first people to experience the wizarding world on a whole new level.
Then (in May of this year, I believe) my brother signed up as well. He has more than a few friends who also play the online game; add to that, their brothers and sisters, who no doubt, have it as well.
So, my connected community, is already, deep into the game.
Then (presuaded by my brother) my mother signed up.
I watched her play some of it.
This included picking a pet (you can choose between an owl, cat or a toad), and having your wand be chosen for you (you answer questions) and I even watched the sorting ceremony; again you answer questions about yourself, so they can determine you best fit.

And then it was.

I had to join too.

Watching how they took you through the chapters, the graphics and the interest of Harry Potter was partly because of it. But I have to admit, watching those questions, to determine what you got, really got me wondering. Naturally my answers were different than my mother's and I wanted to know what wand I would recieve, or what house I would be placed in.

So what is Pottermore? I would say an online game, but I feel (and so would HP fanatics,) it's the Harry Potter experience. I'm not far in, but I believe it takes you through all seven books, experiencing everything Harry, Ron, and Hermione had too.
As I mentioned you get sorted into one of the four houses, you can earn points for that house, you can duel, learn spells, make potions - you live and breath the Hogworts world. And all through your computer screen.
Because it's online, you can verse and meet people from all over the world - of course you don't know who they really are (you get a username, picked out, which detatches who you are, from that in the game).
You have your houses common room, where you can view your houses leader board - so, who in your house has earnt the most points for example. You can also go into the Great Hall, which you can look at the houses leaderboard.

But not a Harry Potter fan? They take you through each chapter of the book - so you never feel like you don't know what is going on, or how to do stuff.
It's extremely close to the books, so I would suggest if you want to get into the Harry Potter phenomenon, you read the books first.
However, if you just want to get into this kind of gaming experience, then you should check it out as well.

So, I've only just begun my journey; I chose a brown owl as my pet, my wand is made of dogwood (or something like that) and the house I was put in was Ravenclaw.
I have no doubt, as I get used to the game and how it works, the more addictive the game will become.
But for now, I'm only a newbie, and I'm still getting used to the whole experience.
But as a serious Harry Potter fan - I'm sure I'll love every step of the way.




No comments:

Post a Comment