Wednesday 20 March 2013

Writing Conundrum: A Piece That Doesn't Make Sense

So this morning I wrote a piece of children's writing for class. 
The idea is that it's a stand alone chapter for younger children, but could be brought out with other chapters to make it a simple chapter book. 
I was low on ideas.
But finally I came up with one - a shopping trip with a girl and her father. 
I wanted to make it something different so my mind flew off into different directions that could make the story interesting, funny and most importantly, appealing to younger readers. 
So off my story went, till I had something that I was pretty proud of. 
Leaving it for a while, I continued with other work, so when I came back to edit it, my mind would be fresh with the story. 
There was one thing in particular that stuck out in my mind - the story has no logic! It makes no sense and this could never happen in real life. 
I got the idea all wrong, and my perceptions of what a fridge at the supermarket looks like is all wrong. 
So now, I don't want to hand it in. 
But I have to. 
I cannot come up with other ideas (not at the moment anyway) and I know that whatever I do come up with, will probably suck just as bad. 
But I must hand it in - for my whole class to see - a story that makes no sense and has no logic or reason behind it! 
In my attempt to make it appealing for children, I have lost simple logic, making my story stupid and weak. 

So, do I hand it in, and say 'hey, it's for children, it doesn't need to make sense', or do I not and it in at all. Hm, very tricky, and once again proves, that I truly am a writing coward

*Also, no one else in my class has showed theirs yet (if they've done them at all) so I have nothing to go off, in how bad my story actually sucks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment