Monday 11 March 2013

My City's Centenary: Celebrating Canberra's 100 Years

Hello people of the Internet! 
If you live anywhere other than my home town, I very much doubt you'll be aware that Canberra is turning 100 today. 
And props to you if you know where Canberra even is - that's a big achievement in itself. 
Yesterday I read a poem that a women wrote that told us everything she liked about Canberra - I tend to disagree. 
Don't get me wrong, I love this city so much - BUUUTTTTT, there are some things that I don't love - like, I mean, I really can't stand. 
So here's my poem in things that I 'love' about Canberra. 


Canberra: A Poem. 

I love Canberra.
I love how it's sweltering in Summer, and freezing cold in Winter.
I love how despite it's sweltering heat, we have no beach. 
I love how despite our freezing Winters, we get no snow.
I love the Canberra roads. 
I love the bumps and humps of the out of sight back roads. 
I love the Canberra drivers. Those selfish bastards that hog the road, with fists of anger and loathing. 
I love the Canberra people.
I love the Canberra Bogans, in their flannel shirts holding their goon bags. 
I love the Canberra Hipsters, in their flannel shirts holding their goon bags. 
I love Canberra's night-life.
I love the groping hands in Meche, and the perving eyes in Moose. 
I love the bands no one has ever heard of with their mediocre success. 
I love Canberra's reputation. 
I love how no one likes Canberra because they think we're boring. 
I love how no one visits because all the politicians are here.
I love how we get blamed for all of Australia's problems because we are her Capital. 
I love Canberra. 

*Just in case you didn't get the subtext - like is a euphemism. 





No comments:

Post a Comment