Saturday 30 March 2013

Another Easter Post. The Downside of Easter as an Adult

I realised something today. 
Easter is only fun if you're a kid, a parent and/or have kids around you during Easter. 

Back in the days when I used to wake up, wake my brother up, and go for a egg hunt. In the morning it was at our house. Mum and Dad would hide the eggs when we went to bed the night before (well, you know the story). Once we'd collected all the eggs (once Mum and Dad remembered where they hid them all) we'd get a chocolate bunny and have chocolate for breakfast. And some toast. 
Then at lunch we would go to my Grandparent's house. There (with our cousins) we'd have another egg hunt. This hunt happened outside (a much bigger area) and used much smaller eggs. This hunt was a lot more challenging and with extra people made it a lot more fun. 
I'm also pretty sure we never found them all and thanks to my Nunnu's bad memory; we were finding eggs days afterwards as well.
It wasn't all about the chocolate though. The family getting together, the great biscuits my Nunna used to make, and well...just the tradition of it really, brings a warmth and comforting feel every Easter. 

Then we grew up.

This morning when I got up, there were no strategically placed eggs on the TV, in a vase or behind a frame - not that I looked, or anything. 
To make it worse, Dad had to work. So by 10:30, he was outta here. 
When my brother got up (12 o'clock) Mum pulled out a carton of chocolate eggs. Except - even though they were the same ones we used to go looking for - she divided them up between the four of us (Dad had his own little pile) and we received our chocolate eggs that way. 
I do have to admit, if she'd made us going looking for them, I would have told her I'm not a kid and complained that it was lame. But still....
Then we got our bunnies - except this year, they weren't bunnies. They were a variety of different chocolates; I love the more sophisticated chocolate; but there goes an old tradition. 

But what about Grandma's house? Nope, that was lost this year too. My cousin's have gone down the Coast (those still living in Canberra anyway) and with Dad working, we spent Easter with my Grandparent's last night instead. 

*I'd just like to say I'm not complaining about the chocolates (not that Easter is about that anyway, at all) I just miss the traditions we used to have, and now as my brother and I are no longer kids - in age anyway - Easter isn't as exiting and the traditions we had seem to be lost. Because as adults, I guess there's no need to keep up a pretence. 

I suppose the Blog Title shouldn't really be 'the downsides to Easter as an Adult' but rather, 'the downsides to Easter if there's no kids around'. Though that makes it sound kinda creepy. 

So if you are spending this Easter with kids - be they your own, nephews or nieces, family friends kids, etc - treasure it!
Go looking for those chocolate eggs with them, hide them in the most ridiculous places where no kid will find them, eat as much chocolate as you can, and have chocolate for breakfast, lunch and dinner. 
Remember this time to be with family, if you're religious ( I am, but I don't want to shove it down people's throats) remember Jesus at this time; it is one of the most important times in the Christian calendar after all. 
Also, grab one of those round eggs, place it in your palm, and smash it against your forehead; just like my cousins and I used to do....Ah, the memories...



No comments:

Post a Comment