Wednesday 31 July 2013

A Day Without Running Water - It Had Me Clogged.

Yesterday I had quite a few things happen. 
1) My Brother went on retreat for school. 
2) My Mum went into hospital for surgery. 
3) I was left home alone as Dad assisted Mum in the hospital and I was left with the dogs and cats. 

Around 12 I decided to have a shower. I turned the tap on, realised I forgot something so I turned the tap off. But the water kept flowing! 
My shower tap was broken, and with no way of fixing it (even if I could) the water had to be turned off. 
I ran around my house in a panic before I got my stuff together, went out the front and turned the water off at the main. 
The shower stopped shooting water everywhere and I was able to take a closer look. 

I had no idea what I was looking for or what I was doing. Finally Dad came home. 
He tried to fix it but he only had a certain amount of time before he had to go back to the hospital again. 

With the shower still broken, the water main had to stay off. If it got turned back on, the water would come gushing out of the shower again - not good. 

While Dad was home, we turned the water main on, filled up some jugs, pots and had some water in a 'rationed supply' which I had to look after. 

At first not having water didn't affect me. 
But throughout the day it started to take its toil. 

You would go to wash your hands and the water would be unavailable,
no rinsing dishes, 
the dishwasher couldn't work, so dishes and cups were rationed,
can't flush the toilet,
water for the cats and dogs were now a priority, 
I didn't drink any water yesterday due to running out,
brushing your teeth at night time was a struggle,
no shower. 

I could turn the water main on when we ran out and filled the jugs and pots again - but it was a pain and every second that main was on - water was gushing out (waste) through the shower. 

All of a sudden, I started to realise how much I take easy water access for granted. Little day to day things that aren't thought about were now in the spotlight because water was rationed.  

I know this sounds like a First World Problem - and yeah, I guess it is. 
But this isn't what the post was supposed to be about. 

Having no running water (only for a day) made me realise how much I take it for granted. 
It's now fixed and the first thing I did was make myself a big glass of water - healthy! And my needed headache really needed it. 
Though I should of taken a shower instead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment