Thursday 6 June 2013

Worry Warts: From Phone Calls to New Jobs

Out of all of the flaws I believe I have, my ability to worry is at the top of the list. 
I worry about everything. 
Character by Roger Hargreaves
I'm worse than Mr. Worry on windy day - or an ordinary one come to think of it. Him and I have a special connection as we both (truly) worry about EVERYTHING. 
Here's an example and the point of my post. 
A few days ago, a friend told me about a new job she has, and (seeing as I haven't worked in who knows how long) I should apply for work there. 
Straight away I was excited - I have been putting off getting a job because of my anxiety (and laziness) and freak out at the prospect of hard work. 
But hearing my friend talk about this job, how much she loves it, how great the people are; made me realise that I should be working and I don't have an excuse not to (Uni has finished for the semester). 
So after keeping it a secret from my parents (I didn't want them to know unless I chickened out), mulling it over with myself for a few days and asking my friend every question I could come up with to douse my fears, I finally made the decision that I had to call. And soon. 
Places were filling up fast and if I didn't call I could miss out completely. And the only thing worse than working for me, was not working. 
I had the owners number, name and any other things my friend could think of ready for the call. 
I just needed the balls to do it. 
Lying in my bed, listening to the music on the radio I thought about everything  I was going to say, how I would say it (got to be confident baby) and try and relax and to not be nervous - it was just an inquiry call after all.
I know I sound a bit silly - but my worrying ability is really that bad. 
Think about it - my friend told me about the job days ago, but it was only this morning I found the courage to say 'Daydreamer, you need a job, you need a life, and more importantly you need money. Call, and if you get a job rejoice - people have to have jobs.' 
So I grabbed the phone and I called. 
It lasted all of a few minutes. 
Said I was interested, that my friend had suggested the job to me, that I was free practically all day everyday. And so it was. 
I start tomorrow. 

What?! 

I knew I should have seen this coming, but thinking about how I start tomorrow has meant Mr. Worry has been joined by this guy....

Copyright: Roger Hargreaves 
I need to remember to breathe and relax. 
To enjoy it and remember that any fears I may have are (more than likely) irrational and that I just need to smile :) 
I'm an organised person, easy to get to know, and I do work hard - everything else is out of my control and at the end of the day it comes down to my ability as a worker, keeping my head down, and my chin up. 
Thinking about these things keeps my anxiety, worrying thoughts, and nerves at bay. 
So I really just need to look at the positives of the situation. 
Hopefully that can put a damper on my Worry Warts; Until tomorrow at least. 

No comments:

Post a Comment