Sunday 10 June 2012

Review: How to be Awkward

Everyone has those moments. Those awkward moments.
And if any song was to capture how that moment went down, it would be San Cisco and their song Awkward.

I was first introduced to this song, when a music show interviewed two of them.
I hadn’t heard of the song before, or them but the thing that caught my attention was when the interviewer said their chorus had no lyrics. This puzzled me on how a songs chorus could have no lyrics. And indeed it doesn’t.

For a first time listener (of any song) I judge it almost instantly, if the song doesn’t grab my attention then I’m no longer interested.
So it’s a good thing when Awkward starts off with a strumming guitar with a fast rhythm.

It’s great.

This tune with the guitar lasts the entire song, with accompanying instruments – it’s the foundation of the song really.
Next are the lyrics where the title awkward now becomes apparent with the awkward situation of young, modern relationships. And how they are not so smooth sailing.
Look at these lyrics. 

   I wouldn't have gone to dinner
If I knew that you'd agree with everything I say

I left a message last night
You haven't called back I've been calling you for days

I have my keys at the gate
My mind is made up to make a quick escape

I left a message last night
You haven't called back I've been calling you for days

The lyrics are very quirky, funny and surprisingly very relatable.
For a song, that’s quite dreamlike and airy, a lot of the lyrics have relevance in one part of your life or another.
And being young I find going out, forming those relationships isn’t always so easy.

The other thing I love about San Cisco is their Alternative style – their quirkiness and style could land them in the Indie pop genre (which I suppose they are) but whether you like that style of music or not – Awkward is a song to listen to.

Remember how I said their chorus doesn’t have any lyrics? Well, their chorus goes like this… 

doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo
doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doo
(x2)

It’s easily the most addictive part of the song, which will get stuck in your head for days!
It’s light, catchy and fun – you’ll find yourself singing it everywhere you go. 

Now of course being an Australian, I’m also proud to announce that San Cisco are from Australia!
And if there are any overseas people reading this I encourage you to check them out.  

But wherever you are from, San Cisco are an up and coming band that will (hopefully) make it to the big time. 

Now obviously I’m not going to tantalize you with an amazing song and not put it up here for you to listen to.

So here it is.

And if any member from San Cisco read this…you guys are great!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment